By: Lake Forest Staff
For the vegan black bean brownies:
– Two 15 oz. cans black beans (~3 cups)
– 4 tablespoons ground flax seeds
– 8 tablespoons water
– 3 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 cup cocoa powder
– 1/2 cup agave
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
– 2 tablespoons almond milk
– 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
– 1 tablespoon chunky peanut butter
For the Oreo peanut butter topping:
– 6 Oreo cookies, crumbled
– 2 tablespoons peanut butter, melted
– 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
– 3.5 oz dark chocolate
– Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
– Thoroughly rinse and drain the black beans. Grind the flax seeds in a food processor or use store-bought ground flax seeds. Add 8 tablespoons of water and set aside to thicken for about 2 minutes. Then make the batter: Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor and process until smooth.
– Lightly grease a baking tray and pour in the batter. Add the chocolate chips to the batter and spread evenly. Stir in one tablespoon of peanut butter with a fork.
– Bake for about 40 minutes. Don’t worry if the brownies appear to still be a bit soft, they’ll get harder once they cool down. Allow the brownies to cool down.
– Once the brownies have cooled down, melt the chocolate either in the microwave or over the stove. Melt the peanut butter in a small pot. First put about half of the melted peanut butter on top, then cover them with the melted chocolate and immediately sprinkle with the crumbled Oreos and the peanuts. Add the rest of the peanut butter on top. Let the topping harden for about an hour before you cut the brownies in pieces.
– 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp fine salt
– 1/4 cup applesauce
– 1 cup raw sugar
– 1 cup non-dairy milk
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional pink frosting:
– Add 1 Tbsp beet purée to this Sugar-Free Frosting or the filling from this recipe
*Or other granulated sweetener or choice, equivalent to 1 cup sugar
– Preheat oven to 350 F.
– Grease a muffin tin or spray paper liners and set aside.
– In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
– In a large bowl, whisk applesauce, sugar, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract until well combined.
– Pour dry mixture into the wet mixture in 3 to 4 batches, stirring until just combined.
– Spoon batter into muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 15 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
– Transfer to a wire cooling rack.
– Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, slather icing over the top.
– ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
– 2 tbsp coconut oil
– ⅓ cup strawberries, thawed if using frozen
– 3-4 tbsp maple syrup
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– ½ cup dark chocolate
– optional: freeze dried strawberries to garnish
– To your blender, add the soaked cashews (NOT with the soaking water), coconut oil, strawberries, maple syrup, and vanilla. Blend until smooth and creamy.
– If it’s not pink enough, add a couple more strawberries. Taste and adjust the sweetness to your liking.
– Line a loaf pan with saran wrap. Pour the cheesecake into the loaf pan. Cover with some more saran wrap and place in freezer. Freeze until completely solid.
– Once completely frozen, remove from loaf pan, and cut into 32 squares (8 by 4).
– Place back in the freezer on a parchment line baking tray as you melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or over a double broiler.
– Place the melted chocolate in a bowl and have your freeze dried strawberries crushed and ready.
– Remove the cheesecake bites from the freezer. One by one dunk into the chocolate and get it completely coated, place on baking tray, and sprinkle with freeze dried strawberries. Repeat with the rest of your bites. Place back in the freezer until the chocolate hardens.
– Alternatively, drizzle all with dark chocolate.
– Keep stored in the freezer. Let thaw for a few minutes before enjoying.
Email Updates: Get updates sent directly to your inbox!
Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Health & Fitness Center - 1200 North Westmoreland Road - Lake Forest, Illinois - 60045 - 847.535.7060 - TTY - 711
LLT Group - Website Design & Creative Agency