By: Lake Forest Staff
Here are 3 core exercises to strengthen your core and improve your running overall, courtesy of verywellfit.com.
1) Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and both feet on the floor. Keep your arms relaxed at your sides.
2) From the starting position, draw in your abdominal muscles. Tighten your glute muscles.
3) Lift your hips to the ceiling to create a straight line from your knees to your chest.
4) Hold the contraction with your glutes for 5 seconds and then lower back down to the starting position. As you progress and build your strength, try to hold it longer, working up to 30 seconds. If your hips start to sag and you lose the proper form, lower back down to the starting position.
5) Repeat this exercise for 10-15 reps.
1) Start out on the floor on your back, with your knees raised and your hands gently supporting your head.
2) Curl your right elbow toward your left knee, bringing them together over the center of your body.
3) Return to your starting position and repeat with your left elbow toward your right knee.
4) Don’t forget to breathe evenly throughout the exercise.
5) Continue alternating nonstop for 1 minute. Work up to 90-120 seconds as you continue to progress.
1) Start on your hands and knees, with your hands firmly placed about shoulder-width apart.
2) Tighten your stomach muscles.
3) Raise one leg off the floor and hold it straight out behind you. Be careful not to let one hip drop lower than the other, so you don’t twist your trunk.
4) Once you feel stable with your leg raised, raise your opposite arm straight out in front of you at the same time.
5) Hold for 5 seconds, then lower your leg and arm.
6) Repeat with the other leg and arm.
7) Do 8-12 reps with each leg/arm, holding each rep for 5 seconds.
8) Build up to holding each rep for 10-30 seconds at a time.
Christine Luff, ACE-CPT. 2021. 10 Core Strengthening Exercises for Runners. October 01. Accessed January 23, 2023. https://www.verywellfit.com/core-strengthening-exercises-for-runners-2911910
Email Updates: Get updates sent directly to your inbox!