By: Lake Forest Staff
As we approach National Senior Citizens Day on August 21, here are some simple exercises to strengthen your body and support mobility courtesy of verahomecare.ca. Always work within your abilities.
Chair Squat Strength Exercise – Strengthen your lower body using a chair.
• Stand in front of a chair with the feet as far apart as the hips.
• Bend the knees, with the shoulders and chest staying upright.
• Lower the bottom to sit down.
• Push the body back up, returning to a standing position.
The Back Stretch – Get your blood flowing and work towards greater mobility in the whole spine and back while reducing rounded shoulders.
• Standing tall and straight, put hands on hips.
• Looking up to the ceiling, arc backward gently. Hold this for three seconds, then return to standing.
• Repeat this stretch ten times.
Head Turn Stretching Exercise – Keeps your neck strong and mobile.
• Stand or sit with the back straight and the shoulders relaxed.
• Turn the head slowly to one side (like a slow “no” shake) until a slight stretch is felt.
• Hold this position for 30 seconds, breathing deeply in and out.
• Turn the head slowly to the other side.
Interested in Group Exercise Classes for all Fitness Levels?
Our fitness facility offers a wide variety of group exercise classes designed to meet the needs of both fitness enthusiasts and those new to exercise classes. Each class is taught by a certified instructor, trained to provide an excellent, motivating class that is sure to make you want to come back again. Participants can feel comfortable jumping right into any of our classes, including yoga, Pilates, cycling, Zumba and more.
Come in today to learn more about group exercise and the specialized programming we offer.
Email Updates: Get updates sent directly to your inbox!